Jeju is a tourist and farming island across the Southern tip of South Korea towards Taiwan . it is slightly larger than Oahu island forming Hawaii, approximately 10 times Santa Catalina island off Los Angeles, California and roughly 7 times Staten island across Manhattan in New York City . Western shores off the Korean Peninsula is cluttered with humble small islands formed of fishing villages but this one is large enough to contain developing civilization, thus has been a neglected site to send out-cast noble powers in the ancient era . oranges were cultivated here when the whole of South Korea was developing after the Korean War, and served as a major domestic tourist destination with much from neighboring Japan also .
the Capital of Jeju island is Jeju City which was about the only place to buy things, so much so that KAL Hotel operated by Korean Air was the only building block standing high-up over the seventies . after which a satellite city in the name of NEW “Shin” Jeju came to place just adjacent West and this area on the Northern tip of the whole island is the center of administration as well as where all major real estate deal is made .
[ DEVELOPMENT ]
as South Korea raised the ante as a Worldly i.T.Power steadily from 1980 towards the Millennium several things happened noteably a decade after, to change much of its demographics :
- a modern resort area was formed South-West of the island from 1978 as in integral development plan and was fully operating by the Millennium with major hotels including Hyatt, Shilla and Lotte and a convention centre .
- after the satellite region South of the Capital was developed as KangNam over 1990 : the government stepped-in to restrict mass investment and much turned to purchasing art masterpieces, while others turn to buy-up land in the still barren Jeju island .
- although ships do dock from inCheon and Busan or formerly Pusan : restless Koreans have always preferred to fly in and out of Jeju island . in modern times : South Korea’s flag-ship airlines has been Korean Air and Asiana . then the government laxed to allow several low-cost airlines which formed over the latter half of the decade after the Millennium . this when internet shopping was well in place to compare prices, precipitated an all-out price war after 2010 and a single trip could be had for just below W30,000 while prime times during Weekends cost over W90,000 !!!
- investment immigration were granted to Chinese citizens from February 2010 . first they can visit without a Visa for 30 Days, and if you invest over USD $500,000 and live 5 years : you and your family will get a residence permit .
- Duty-Free Shops were open to those taking a domestic plane out of Jeju island from 2010, with a one-time limit of W400,000 and six times per year .
– Jeju isl dot com –